Ted Reeve Hockey Association’s House League is the foundation of our hockey program and is open to children at every skill level. From superstar to just learning to skate, house league offers a less competitive environment than Select. House league directors and coaches aim to develop team players who respect their peers, understand the game, and play it with heart. All house league games and practices are located in Ted Reeve arena.
Ted Reeve Hockey Association’s house league is a great way to introduce your budding superstar to our national pastime and carry on a Toronto East end tradition. In fact, we have many multi-generational families that have played or volunteered at Ted Reeve going back 65 years!
Age Divisions for 2023/2024
Your player’s birth year will determine their hockey division. We combine minor and major years together in one division (except for U8 and U9 which are separate divisions).
|U7 (Initiation formerly Tyke)
|2017, 2018, 2019
|U8 (Formerly Minor Novice)
|U9 (Formerly Novice)
|U11 (Formerly Minor Atom/Atom)
|U13 (Formerly Minor Peewee/Peewee)
|U15 (Formerly Minor Bantam/Bantam)
|U18 (formerly Minor Midget, Midget Jr and Sr)
|2008, 2007, 2006
U7 (Initiation formerly Tyke)
We offer an initiation program for 4, 5 and 6 year olds that runs for 1 hour sessions on Sunday mornings between 7 am and 10 am. Players are introduced to the principles of hockey shooting, passing, and skating in a 1/2 ice format in a relaxed and fun environment run by professional instructors. Skills and drills are followed by a short scrimmage. We also offer optional 50 minute skill development sessions every other week on Saturday mornings between 7 am and 9 am in the Bubble next to Ted Reeve arena. These sessions are run by a professional instructor.
U8 (Formerly Minor Novice) and U9 (Formerly Novice)
Our U8 and U9 program runs on Saturday mornings between 7 am and 10:30 am and uses a half-ice format as mandated by Hockey Canada. Players play their games using half the ice in order to increase stick handling and puck skills. There are also optional one hour practices run by a professional instructor on alternating Monday nights from 6 pm — 8 pm that focus on hockey skills and drills. Please click the box below to read about Hockey Canada’s U9 Half-Ice Mandate.
In the 2018/2019 hockey season the Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) implemented a half ice program that affected U9 players. All minor hockey associations were required to switch to a half ice format for their U7 and U9 programs. (Our U7 program already followed this format). This format change aligned with the Hockey Canada modified ice mandate which came into effect for the 2019/2020 hockey season in which all U9 programming used half ice.
The goal of switching to half ice is to modify U9 programming to be more age appropriate. Players will be practicing and playing games on half the ice surface in an effort to promote players’ stick handling, skating, passing, and shooting skills before they progress to play on a full ice surface at 8 years of age and above.
The Ted Reeve Hockey Association supports this initiative and purchased the necessary equipment to fulfill the requirements of the program.
For more information on this initiative and its implementation, please click on the following links to access the GTHL and OHF’s websites which outline the mandate and provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Please read the information about the program at the links provided above and if you still have questions please contact us.
U11 (Formerly Minor Atom/Atom)
Our U11 Division plays their house league games on Saturday mornings between 10 am and 2 pm. Optional practices take place alternating Mondays between 8 pm and 9 pm and are run by a professional instructor. In U11 focus is on player skill development in both practices and games in keeping with Hockey Canada’s Atom Pathway. Please click on the red box below for more details on this initiative.
U13 (Formerly Minor Peewee/Peewee), U15 (Formerly Minor Bantam/Bantam)
Our U13 division plays their House Leagues games on Saturdays starting at 2 pm and finishing at 5 pm. Our U15 division plays their games on Saturdays starting at 5 pm and finishing at 7 pm. There are optional bi-weekly practices for U13s in Ted Reeve arena on Mondays at 8 pm to 9 pm.
U18 (formerly Minor Midget, Midget Jr and Sr)
Our Midget 3 on 3 house league is very popular and runs on Saturday nights starting at 7 pm and ending at 10 pm. Players play in a relaxed and friendly music-filled atmosphere. This is a fantastic way for teenagers to spend their Saturday night!
Fees 2023/2024 Season
Registration fees are as follows:
U7, U8, U9, U11, U13, U15, U18 — $675.00
Although the health situation in Ontario appears to be improving, there is still the possibility that for the 2023-24 hockey season Ted Reeve Hockey Association may have to modify or suspend our programs due to circumstances beyond our control. This would include, but is not limited to:
- Directives from local, provincial, or federal governments or corresponding health authorities
- An outbreak of COVID-19 within the Ted Reeve Hockey community (players, families, arena staff, external service providers, etc.)
- Changes in rules, regulations, insurance coverage and other issues by our governing hockey bodies
- Ice facilities becoming unusable temporarily or permanently due to construction delays, COVID-19 related closures, fires, mechanical failure, labour disruption or weather-related events
Ted Reeve Hockey Association will make every effort to mitigate the impact of any of the circumstances above if they arise. If it is necessary to suspend, reduce, or change our programming we will endeavour to provide refunds to the extent we are able. Please note: Ted Reeve Hockey Association is a not-for-profit and run largely by volunteers. Our main expense every season is ice (about 80% of our costs) followed by insurance and league fees. If it is necessary to cancel the season, we will provide a refund (less a $50.00 admin charge).
If it is necessary to shorten the season, we may provide a pro-rated refund based on the amount of hockey played but it is not guaranteed (for instances, if closure is 5 weeks or less).
Players and families will be required to follow protocols and guidelines as set out by our program and the facilities in which they run. These are in place for the safety of our entire hockey community. Participants must adhere to the mandated protocols or will be prohibited from participating in Ted Reeve programs. In cases where protocols are not followed, players may not be eligible for a refund.
Ted Reeve Hockey Association Refund Policy
- Players may withdraw prior to August 31, 2023 and receive a refund of their registration fee less a $75.00 cancellation fee.
- For withdrawal requests received on or after August 31, 2023, players will receive a refund less a $100 cancellation fee.
- There will be no refunds on or after September 15, 2023. Exceptions will be made for players joining a Ted Reeve Thunder rep team.
Please note: Tryouts for Select (Tornados) and Rep (Thunder) for divisions U10 to U18 will be held in May 2023. Tryouts for Select (CDS program) for divisions U7 to U9 will be held in September and October 2023 for the 2023-2024 season.
- Players in divisions U10 — U18 who try out for Tornados (Select) in May 2023 and then later decide to withdraw, will receive a refund of their house league registration fee (less a $75 admin charge) provided the registrar is notified before August 31, 2023.
- If a player in divisions U10 — U18 registers for house league and tries out for a Tornados Select team in May 2023 but is ultimately not asked to join the team, the player can remain in the house league program or withdraw.
- If the player decides to withdraw, the registrar must be notified within 5 days of Select team selection at firstname.lastname@example.org. In such cases, a refund of registration fees will be provided less a $75.00 admin charge. After 5 days, no refund will be provided if a player withdraws in order to join a Select team that is not Ted Reeve Tornados.
- Similarly, if a player U10 — U18 is offered a position on an A or AA team (not Ted Reeve Thunder) after the May 2023 tryouts and decides to withdraw from Ted Reeve House league, the refund policy for Select above applies. The Registrar must be notified at email@example.com within 5 days of signing with the team in order to receive a refund less a $75.00 admin fee. After 5 days, no refund will be provided.
- House League players who are offered a position on a Ted Reeve Thunder team will receive a full refund of the house league fee (no administration fee) provided the Registrar is notified with 5 days of signing with the team.
Please allow approximately 30 days for processing from the time the request has been received by our Registrar.
All refunds will be issued in the original form of payment. Cash payments will be refunded by cheque.
Credit cards that expire between original payment and refund will be refunded by cheque.
Refunding of fees paid by cheque will be delayed until the cheque clears the bank.
No refunds will be given due to injury, illness, or suspension of a player.
Registration fees for players who register after the season starts will not be pro-rated. Full registration fees will be charged.
Hockey Canada only allows players to be registered for one club at a time. If you register for more than one association and then decide to withdraw from Ted Reeve Hockey Association the refund policy above applies.
Mandatory Equipment List
- CSA-approved Helmet with face mask/cage
- Hockey Gloves
- Neck Guard
- Elbow Pads
- Shin Pads
- Shoulder Pads
- Hockey Pants
- Hockey Skates
- Hockey Stick (taped at the end so it can’t fit through the holes in the cage of the helmet)
- Long underwear and a thin long sleeve shirt for under the equipment (will help prevent the shin pad and elbow pad straps from digging in to the skin)
- Mouthguard (optional)
- Hockey Bag (to carry all equipment)
- House League players receive a Hockey Jersey and Socks during the first few weeks of the season
House League Registration for the 2023-24 season is now open. Please have proof of address (utility bill, driver’s license, etc.) and player’s birth certificate ready to upload during registration.
Please read ALL of our updated registration information
One parent of every player is required to complete the Parent Respect in Sport Course online PRIOR to season start. Completion of the course is essential in order for players to be allowed on the ice.
House League will begin Saturday October 14, 2023 (U8 to U18) and Sunday October 15, 2023 (U7- U5). Season ends on April 13 and 14, 2024.
Team placement and Schedules to be released by October 10, 2023. Thank you for your patience.
If you have not received an email by October 10, 2023, please email our Registrar, Anne Macdonald, at firstname.lastname@example.org. When registering please ensure you provide an email address and/or phone number that is checked frequently.
Who do I contact for more information about the House League program?
For more information about House League please contact the appropriate person from the drop down menu on the Contact page.